Thursday 1 July 2010

Kitchen Loveliness
















Sweets! No, actually the new kitchen cabinet handles I painted. I am quite in love with them. The local hardware shop supplied the pine knobs and I decorated them with my artist's acrylic colours. I did add two layers of clear varnish to them as they are in use all the time. To begin with I had a more complicated scheme in my mind, but realised that I like the look of spots and spirals. I have this littleTingatinga painting in my kitchen






















which has orange


















and green






















and black colours in it and because I did not want to do any black handles, I went for really dark purple. In low light it looks black, but that does not bother me.

















The new handles in situ:



































Our kitchen has North facing window, so all photography is tricky. The window wall where most of my decorative items are is almost "no-photos" zone. I know, I just have to borrow Elf Husband's SLR camera and everything is possible and photoshopping helps as well. I wanted to show you a couple of other things from my fresh new kitchen.
One of the Moroccan wall lamps, which Elf Husband installed for me. Thank You! I know it was a horrible job involving crawling in our attic.






















A corner with the sheep clock and a rice sorting basket on the wall. I have coriander from my garden hanging to dry.






















The coriander is hanging from a shelf we installed above the window after the painting. As the ceiling is quite low, there is almost no natural light that way, so the pictures don't really do justice. Here are though two snaps from my fish collection on the self.















I bought a hand towel and made three lovely teatowels from a scarf. Yes, I know that sounds daft, but this scarf was made of two layers of nappy muslin and dries dishes beautifully. The scarf was originally dyed and sewn by two of my friends. i had it for years and seldom used it as a scarf, but more often as a tablecloth. One day though I had a candle accident and an ugly hole was burnt into it, so now it has a new lease of life as very posh teatowels. I also added the ribbon as an extra, when I made the towels.




















I love flowers and I make little posies for our house during the summer. Here is the latest one in the kitchen.























And the chandelier is there as well, without the birds at the moment, but with green candles. (Do I notice an obsession with a colour?)






















I hope to get some pictures to show of the whole kitchen in a sunny evening, after a cleaning fit! Now I better go and do some preparation for teaching in the weekend!

No comments: