Wednesday, 9 February 2011

Re-take Two and three

I bought a vintage layered cake tin a couple of years ago. I found it in my local treasure trove aka charity shop. In principle I like old and a bit worn out stuff. This tin was yellowish cream coloured and had sage green lid, colour combination which did nothing for my kitchen.

So I decided to something about it. I was thinking of spray painting them, maybe with polka dots. It was a good idea, but it would have been really costly and I could not find the shade of green I had set my mind to.

Lucy in attic24 was doing some decoupage with specially produced paper and I thought that it was the way to go. Again I could not find the green I liked or even pattern I liked in slightly different green. So I decided to go for and white combo. I had a go and the result was this. Not good.

So the tin was a UFO while I was re-grouping. I think that the paper bit is totally oversold thing. They say that it doesn't rip. It did for me.They say it doesn't bleed. It did for me. Or I might be the most sausage fingered crafter on the planet. I was even using their special glue to do the work with. I don't have any evidence, but I think I was taken for a ride with the glue. It smelled and felt like any PVA glue.

In the end I realised that I had the polka dots and the colour in my fabric draws, so that was what I used. Didn't rip or bleed  FYI. The lid needed two layers as the green paint was showing through and making the lid considerably different in colour. (It still shows a bity, especially in the picture, less so in person)

The only problem is that the tin was quite tight to open to begin with. To stuff a bit of fabric in between doesn't help. We will see what happens. Maybe I should have given it just sandpapering a la Jokke from Jokkemaa. I like the colour though!

My IKEA chandelier with self-hung beads had lost some of its jewels.You can see it here in its former glory. I replaced them, as I cannot find the container in which I put the ones that had fallen off and added a few more beads and colours for fun.

 PS. In pictures you can see how there are some air bubbles left, because my decoupage work was not perfect. It actually shows far less in real life, the pictures really bring them up. 


Jokke said...

A tin can get tight if you add only paint. I hope it works! The tin looks really fresh.

Catherine said...

What a brilliant idea to use fabric. That tin looks great

Mama Elf said...

thank-you Catherine! I love the tin too and we have been able to use it despite the rather tight fitting layers.