Wednesday, 11 August 2010

Summer Tote

The material for this quick-to-make tote came from Finland from "marimekko's" factory outlet. They have a great big box with seconds, admittedly most of it was rubbish from my point of view. I guess that is because I was not intending to make just a little purse or such and many pieces had a very little of the intended print intact.

This morning I thought I better make this summer bag, so I can get some use out of it before it is autumn. I did not have a pattern, nor did I have a proper plan of what I intended to do. It is only a tote...

It all went well until I put the handles on and didn't think about putting the handle I had to construct from two pieces to the back of the bag. I just could not be bothered to change this detail after sewing it, as I am a true lazy bones.

I had had a fleeting thought of lining the bag, but the material is rather thick canvas and doesn't really need it, so thought why to complicate things further. The last thing I did was to topstitch the edges and this is where all the bother started. My machine was suddenly going totally haywire with bobbin thread tension. I think I sewed and used the unpicking tool after each other for an hour in one go. I still don't really know what was wrong, but I managed it in the end.

You cannot see in these pictures, but my tote has a little "mama elf" label on the front pocket. It was added after the photos were taken and the sun had disappeared at that point...Shameless self-advertising!

No comments: